Cerebral Palsy Sleeping Disorder
Cerebral palsy persons are very often having disturbed and irregular sleep pattern. There are many reasons for cerebral palsy sleeping disorder are given as below:
- Abnormal movement pattern
- Body ache & joints pain
- Spasticity / rigidity
- Gastro-intestinal reflux disorder
- Drooling & skin ulcer
- Disturbance of biological clocks- very irregular sleep pattern, day time sleep but awakening in night.
- Because of lower or upper respiratory tract infection
- Noise, light, music can be disturbing
- Anxiety because of their physical condition and daily stress of routine life
- Gastrointestinal disturbance
- Bad posture
- Bed wetting
To improve their sleep pattern one has to work on each of these problems.
- Therapy to maintain normal muscle tone and improve other problems
- Get them engaged during day time and allow only to sleep at regular time. Slowly it will become a routine
- Prompt treatment of infections and other associated medical problems. This condition improves a lot when they become mobile.
- Keep the environment of house calm as much as possible while they sleep.
- Mothers and caregivers usually know different methods to clam and comfort them like any typically growing child.
- Drugs should be used only when absolute necessary and with medical advice only.
If you have any problem or query related to cerebral palsy then feel to contact us!
Important Facts About Cerebral Palsy