Cerebral Palsy Symptoms & Diagnosis
SYMPTOMS OF CEREBRAL PALSY
Symptoms of cerebral palsy in children are dribbling of saliva, problem in sucking, no social smile on looking to mother, abnormal sensation and tone in body of baby, delayed milestone like absent neck holding, creeping crawling, knee walk, less use of hands , epilepsy presence of primitive reflexes, growth retardation, microcephaly etc
TYPES OF CEREBRAL PALSY
Cerebral palsy is group of neuromotor disorder. It occur because of brain insult in early age of life. It can present in variety of manner like spastic cerebral palsy, athetoid cerebral palsy, ataxic cerebral palsy, mix cerebral palsy, hypotonic etc.
In spastic cerebral palsy tone in body is high during all activities but in dyskinetic cerebral palsy tone is fluctuating and completely normal during rest and in sleep.
Ataxic cerebral palsy present as balance issue in cerebral palsy. Dystonic and ataxic cerebral palsy usually affect whole body but spastic cerebral palsy present as hemiplegic, diplegic, triplegic and quadriplegic spastic cerebral palsy.
TREATMENT FOR CEREBRAL PALSY
According to latest cerebral palsy definition (Modified after Bax et al. 2005) it is a group of permanent disorders of the development of movement and posture, causing activity limitation, that are attributed to non-progressive disturbances that occurred in the developing fetal or infant brain. Primarily these children have problem in muscle tone, gross & fine motor activity, balance & posture. It is Often accompanied with problem in sensation, perception, cognition, communication, behavior, speech & seizures. Mental retardation can be found in 30-40% children with severe disability. Cerebral palsy symptoms vary and depend upon the part of the brain involved, age of diagnosis, severity, and treatment received so far. Cerebral palsy can be diagnosed at very early age even up-to 6 months of age by recognition of delay in developmental milestones, abnormal muscle tone, absent neck holding, poor social smile, problem in sucking & deglutition, history of high risk delivery etc.
Afterwards many cerebral palsy symptoms like difficulty in crawling, standing, walking, speech, vision, hearing, behavior problems, drooling, recurrent illness, nutrition problems, seizure, presence of abnormal movement in the body can present. Severity can vary from trivial problem to sever disability even complete bed ridden.Cerebral palsy problem can affect one part of extremity to the whole body depending upon extent of brain lesion. These children can also have different movement disorders depending upon site of brain lesion. Spastic children have spasticity & fix tone pattern. Dyskinetic cerebral paly has variable tone pattern.
Important Facts About Cerebral Palsy
16 Cerebral Palsy Myths
Cerebral palsy Care Plan
Cerebral Palsy Prognosis
Cerebral Palsy Birth Injuries
Cerebral Palsy Sleeping Disorder
Living With Cerebral Palsy Disorder
Cerebral Palsy Associated Disorders
Cerebral Palsy Eating and Feeding Tips
It is good to have some knowledge of cerebral palsy condition and also important to know about the symptoms of cerebral palsy. Knowing the cerebral palsy symptoms and signs can ensure immediate therapy for cerebral palsy children. There are some essential things which you need to aware about the symptoms of cerebral palsy. Your awareness about CP will help in proper cerebral palsy diagnosis.
- Symptoms of CP condition are not same for each and every child. There are four major types of cerebral palsy. A child’s symptoms will define which type of cerebral palsy child have. Spastic cerebral palsy, ataxic, athetotic cerebral palsy and mixed cerebral palsy has. Spastic cerebral palsy is further categorized into different categories like spastic hemiplegia, spastic monoplegia, spastic diplegia, and spastic quadriplegia. These categories of cerebral palsy depending on the limbs affected.
- Some of the cerebral palsy cases have mixed symptoms of all three types. Cerebral palsy symptoms include stiffness in muscles, floppy in muscles,
tremors, asymmetrical gait, foot dragging, drooling, scissors gait, hearing problem, sight impairment and have difficulty in swallowing.
- Some children with cerebral palsy condition may also suffer from mental retardation problem. This is not seen always on the CP case. In fact, many cerebral palsy children have mental abilities that are normal for their age.
- Cerebral palsy symptoms does not have set of frame time to appear on the child. Some of the case it may show’s first few days and weeks after birth. In milder conditions, it may appear after one or more years.
- It can make difficulties in movement. But different cerebral palsy therapy techniques and advanced medical procedures can help children get more potential with better improvement in movement. Most of the time these treatments are miracle for CP patients to become self independent and enjoy live with more joy.
- Cerebral palsy therapy mostly inspired by physiotherapy treatment or special exercises. Some of therapies patient can perform it easily on their home.